Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Tri Delta Summer 2015

Tri Deltas Around the Globe


Kathleen Davis, PC '13, went on a 24-day trip to New Zealand to study Sustainability through UF's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. During the winter in New Zealand, Kathleen "hiked Fox Glacier, kayaked the Tasman sea, went to Queenstown, swam with wild dolphins and saw baby seals in Kaikoura." According to Kathleen, "New Zealand is the safest and cleanest country in the world!"



Jamie Wilkinson and Hannah Olmsted, both PC '13, travelled to Madrid, Spain for two and a half months. On their breaks from school, they booked trips to the Amalfi Coast in Italy, London, and Paris for Hannah's 20th birthday. "We went on a whim traveling to London but we were able to wake up one morning at 4 am and stand in line together for 8 hours to get tickets into Wimbledon. All summer we'd always say how badly we wished all of our Tri Delta sisters could be with us too to experience the fun in Europe," says the pair.
  

Diana Martinez, PC '14, studied Spanish and culture in Barcelona, Spain at Universitat AutonĂ²ma de Barcelona. She used the weekend times to travel around Europe to Zurich, Switzerland, Paris, London, Rome, Pisa, Florence and Palma de Mallorca. "My favorite parts were definitely trying all the different foods!"




Ali Corominas, PC '14, went backpacking through Europe with the help of an app called "Couchsurfing" where instead of staying in hotels or hostels, she stayed with locals and connected with them through filters of the app. "In the app, you can type in any city and  million people come up and you can filter through the people and see their spare rooms." In all, she traveled through Spain, England, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, & Croatia with over 25 different families for 5 weeks total.


  Robin Love, PC '12, and Melanie Parnham, PC '13, studied abroad in Florence, Italy and went on weekend trips to Rome, Venice, the Amalfi coast and Switzerland. "We hiked a mountain together and got lost in so many random cities and we made so many new friends in the process. It made me appreciate her so much more. I couldn't imagine my study abroad experience without Robin."


Kaiya Shapiro, PC '12, went to Israel for 20 days on a trip called Birthright where she was able to float in the Dead Sea, ride a camel and even watch the sun rise after sleeping in the desert. "The Middle East is full of beautiful places, a rich history, and lots and lots of falafel! The experience taught me so much about myself and allowed me to think about my life from a different perspective. I truly love Israel and can't wait to go back one day."



Kristen Sleeth, PC '14, traveled to South Africa, Swaziland, and Mozambique for one month with a program called International Student Volunteers. She spent 2 weeks volunteering in a village near East London, South Africa and 2 weeks on an adventure tour zip lining, four-wheeling, caving and encountering all kinds of wildlife, such as elephants, giraffes, cheetahs. "The kids that I saw had almost nothing compared to what most of us have, yet were the happiest little kids I've ever seen. It was such a life changing experience and I can't wait to go back."




Deltas Hard at Work


Tori Bagley, PC '12, has been working in New York City at the Wells Fargo's Investment Banking Summer Analyst Program. "It's very time consuming but so rewarding because I feel like I am learning a lot and getting great experience," Tori says. She loved living with two Tri Deltas because "it felt like I had a little piece of home in this crazy city! After an insane work week, we would try new places in the city to eat and explore for hours on end!"



Lauren Brown, PC '13, worked in New York City as a public relations intern for Zac Posen. During her time there, she had the opportunity to deliver samples to some amazing people such as Michelle Obama, Sophia Bush, Jane Krakowski and Meryl Streep. "Zac himself is so fun and kind to everyone who works within the company. There is never a dull moment in the office. His collection is so creative and really comes full circle with his vision and I'm thankful I have the chance to take part in that even for a short period of time."
   

Zannie Jones, PC '12, has spent all summer organizing her brand and getting inventory for her swim suit collection called Zannikini. Zannie hosted a fashion show during Miami Swim Week and she is beginning to retail her designs to boutiques.  "I love my customers and it's been amazing seeing my designs on so many adventurous, beautiful girls!" Check out her kinis at www.zannikini.com!
 



Lillian Giunta, PC '13, worked in Nashville, Tennessee as the Hot 20 Countdown News intern for Country Music Television. While at CMT, she worked on various sets with Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan, Lady Antebellum, Keith Urban, Jake Owen, Sam Hunt and many more. She worked at the CMT Music Awards assisting on the red carpet and gathering guests for interviews. "One of the best pars was meeting another intern that is a Tri Delta from South Carolina, Daisy!"


 
Lauren Bernick, PC '13, worked for 6 weeks in New York City as the College Associate in the Specials Department of Fox News. Her department produces 6-7 one-hour specials per year about the Boston Bombing, 9/11, mysteries regarding the assassination of John F. Kennedy and others. She lived with Chloe Stradinger, PC '13, who also worked in New York City but as a Fashion Features & Credits intern for Marie Claire.  Chloe gathered price and retailer information for all items featured in the magazine. "One of the best partts was getting to spend the 4th of July weekend in the Hamptons!" 






Recruitment starts: 8 days
Bid Day: 15 days
Sisterhood Retreat: 20 days
First football game: 26 days
Mom/Dot night: 27 days
Homecoming week: 82 days

We can't wait for Fall Recruitment and to welcome home our PC' 15! 

A word from our President and Recruitment Chair: 

"Welcome PNMs! We are so excited to meet you. The last few weeks we have been eagerly preparing for your arrival, trying to make it as gratifying as possible. I hope when you walk into these doors you feel like I did on the first day. In the midst of chaos, I felt a sense of comfort and calmness when I walked into Tridelta. Remember that this process is about you. Where do you feel good and feel like yourself? I hope you find your sense of home, and I’d be ecstatic if you found it at Tridelta. 
Enjoy this week! Get to know the girls under your tent; they will likely become some of your best friends.  Don’t be afraid to ask your Pi Chis lots of questions-they have all the answers.  And your mom probably wants you to call her every night, so don’t be shy about telling her all the details of your day at the end of the night. Get lots of sleep. And most importantly, embrace who you are. The right home will find you.  "
-Lexie Byers, PC '12, President


"Hello! I'm Erin, the Recruitment Chair, and I am so excited to meet you all. I vividly remember going through recruitment 3 years ago- getting soaked by the never ending rain, meeting awesome girls in different chapters, and not really knowing what being in a sorority was all about. However, the one thing I was constantly reassured of during that crazy week was how I always felt at home in Tri Delta. Joining Tri Delta has been the best decision I've ever made. I am always surrounded by girls who are uplifting, caring, determined, selfless, and genuine. I had always wished I had a sister, but I truly feel like I now have over 200. Tri Delta has given me so much. I never thought I'd have so many lifelong friends, so many amazing opportunities at UF, and so many unforgettable memories. I attribute these best 4 years of my life to Tri Delta, and I hope you will be able to see how strong our sisterhood really is."

-Erin Boyle, PC '12, Recruitment Chair




For some more updates from summer, check out our Tumblr and YouTube Video

No comments:

Post a Comment